Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Formulas - Unsaid, Undone [2010]

We thought a namae change was so you could start over completely fresh, but I guess not. Formulas formerly Delta Delta! have released their first EP with their new singer, Jane. Wejumptheshark are all Kelc fans so we'll try to keep this review unbiased. The first thing to note about this EP is that Formulas recycled two and a half songs from Delta Delta! The opening track "Circuits" is the same song as "Vampires" by Delta Delta!, it's just much better produced. The same thing goes for the title track "Unsaid, Undone", it's a rerecording of Lilian's Safari. "Reality" takes the music and chorus from "A E I O U and Sometimes Why" and adds new verses. I can't say that the rerecordings are better than the original songs, although there is much more crisp, clear, and tighter production. As for the new songs, as much as we hate to say it they're all really good. If you're new to this band and haven't heard their old material, they would probably win you over. Now on to the main topic, the only difference between Formulas and Delta Delta! is the lead singer and we honestly can't tell you whose better. The original singer Kelc had a unique voice and vocal style and she was a great writer. The new singer Jane has a solid voice but sounds just like any other female singer in this genre. Jane does show slightly more range on this EP than Kelc did on the Delta Delta! release. I'm a fan of Kelc I think she's a great singer and writer, but as much as I hate to say it Jane's not bad. The guys in the band are great musicians, they'll only get better with experience, and they've proven that no matter who's singing they are going to make great music. Even though I don't want to like this band and I don't agree with the reasons why Kelc was kicked out of the band, this is still a good EP and band.

myspace
Sounds Like: VersaEmerge, Paramore, Delta Delta!
Stand Out Tracks: Unsaid, Undone, Social Ladder

Track List:
1. Circuits
2. Reality
3. Rules
4. Unsaid, Undone
5. Social Ladder
6. Heavy Eyes

download

5 comments:

  1. Hi, I love the music that you post! I have found quite a few new artists that I really enjoy, thanks so much.
    Formulas is one of them. I can't seem to download track 2: Reality and I can't find it anywhere else. Could you post a new link for that song please. That would be awesome, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for your interest, the new link is up now

    ReplyDelete
  3. What!
    I need you to tell me what was the reason that drove Kelc!
    and I like the new EP but the song "Vampires" and "Circuits" mmmm
    Vampires but I like more happened with Kelc
    Do you have a new band?
    Why they expelled?
    please give me answers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Kelc is gay and apparently the members of Delta Delta! are very religious and according to their beliefs they couldn't be in a band with someone who was openly gay. So Kelc was asked to leave the band, Kelc says it was mutual but nobody knows except her and the band.

    Kelc has a solo project called deer theodore

    http://www.myspace.com/deertheodore

    Its like a little acoustic project, I havent ripped any of the stuff yet because all of the songs that are up are kind of rough. I'm just waiting until she gets some higher quality stuff up.

    ReplyDelete